Sunday, April 22, 2012

Easter Long Weekend in Wooli

I first arrived in Australia on the Thursday before the Easter Long Week. I quickly learned that Sydney largely shuts down and there's hardly anything open.

Thus I've made it a point to be somewhere. Do you detect a theme?
  • First Easter Long Weekend 2010: Kangaroo Island (in South Australia) 
  • Second Easter Long Weekend 2011: Rottnest Island (in West Australia) which is known for its "quokka" (small wallaby) 
  • Third Easter Long Weekend 2012: Solitary Island near Wooli (about a 7 hour drive North of Sydney)
My friend Andrea (who I met on another Pro Dive Weekend Trip to Fish Rock) and I joined Pro Dive on its Easter Long Weekend trip to Wooli. The aspiration was to dive Pimpernel Rock, but due to the current/wind conditions we centered our diving to Solitary Island.

I did 8 dives with my awesome dive buddy Andrea who's the best navigator ever and Wooli Dive Center!

April 6, 2012
Dive #148: Bubble Cave (max depth 20.7 m, 56 min, 28 degrees C)
Dive #149: Elbow Cave (max depth 18.9 m, 55 min) - Saw a small turtle, sink holes, estery cod. Most of all I loved the 30 m visibility!

April 7, 2012
Dive #150: Mackerel Run (max depth 18.3, 50 min, 24 degrees C)
Dive #151: Roger's Run (max depth 20.1, 43 min) Saw turtles and an eagle ray.

April 8, 2012
Dive #152: Fish Soup (max depth 16.2 m, 43 min) Very heavy surge, really deserved its name as we were tossed around in poor visibility, murky water.
 Dive #153: Anemone Bay (max depth 18.6 m, 44 min) Saw three turtles, wobbygong, school of batfish and lots of anemone and a lion fish in a crevice.

April 9, 2012
Dive #154: Bubble Cave
Dive #155: Elbow Cave

 Here are two videos and a number of photos:



No comments:

Post a Comment