Saturday, September 12, 2009

Going to the Races – Great Gatsby Style

Annette invited me to join her husband Andy and their friend Baron for an afternoon at the races. And by “races” I mean horse races.

This was not my first time going to the races, as I went a few times with my Dad at Arlington Race Track. But when I’ve gone it’s been a very casual affair … meaning I wore jeans and a top.

Not thinking much of it, I went casually dressed to Randwick Race Course and felt totally under dressed. Actually, that’s an understatement! It’s like I stepped into a scene from Great Gatsby as all the men were in suits and flapper hats and all the women were in lovely summer party dresses with very stylish hats with feathers , flowers, and sequined hair bands.

Call out to my brother: I found an Englishman who's immigrated to Australia who’s a New York Met’s fan (check out the latter part of the video).



I thought it was odd enough to show you this in a separate video – in the ladies bathroom at the Randwick Race Course there was a hair straightening iron. Even if you lose your bets and it smells of horses at least your hair will be straight!

1 comment:

  1. Definitely different (in a good way) than the crowd at Arlington Park Race Track. And looked like they ran clock-wise while I am pretty sure they run counter-clock wise in the US. Go Mets! Nice! And he knew the #7 train from Grand Central- Impressive.

    ReplyDelete